Mar 6, 1943 – Apr 16, 2020
A tribute: I met Sgt Bloodworth in 1973 at Tank Turret School at Schools Bn Camp Pendleton. We were together again in 1974 3rd Tank Bn Oki. John introduced me to handball, tennis and racquetball. We even made SSgt together. Working in the Bn Maintenance office John was a terrific mentor and influenced me throughout my career. In 1978 we reconnected in 29 Palms where our wives met and became lifelong friends. Over the years John was more a brother than a friend to me. He was a genuine leader in every aspect, the well-being of those he worked with were his guiding force. He was a fluff and buff Marine but he was a Marine to the bone for 36 years. Rest in Peace my brother until we meet again!Tom Fox, Major, USMC Retired
LtCol John W. Bloodworth enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve in January 1965 attending recruit training at MCRD San Diego. He was assigned the MOS 2145 Tank Mechanic and reported to 1st Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division to complete Active Duty Training. Released from active duty and reported to the 4th Tank Battalion at Camp Elliot NAS Miramar.
Enlisted Duty Stations From Pvt to GySgt :
- June 1972 he returned to active duty and was station with H & S Company, 1st Tank Battalion, Camp Pendleton.
- August 1973 he reported to 3rd Tank Battalion Okinawa
- September 1974 he reported to H&S Company, 1st Tank Battalion
Officer Duty Stations WO to LtCol:
- January 1979 he was promoted to Warrant Officer was assigned to H & S Company, 3rd Tank Battalion, 29 Palms.
- August 1984 reported to 1st Tracked Vehicle Battalion Okinawa.
- July of 1985 he was for duty with H & S Company, 1st Maintenance Battalion, 1st Force Service Support Group.
- September 1989 he was transferred to I MEF Camp Pendleton
- July 1991 he was assigned to III MEF, Okinawa,
- June 1992 reported to Headquarters Battalion, 1st Force Service Support Group
- July of 1993 he reported to H & S Company, 1st Maintenance
- September 1997 he reported for duty with Headquarters Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group
- 1998 he reported to I MEF Headquarters Group, I MEF, G-4
- Retired March 30 2001
Enlisted Duties: Tank Mechanic, M-51 Tank Recovery Vehicle Commander, Tank Company Maintenance Chief. Tank Turret Mechanic. Battalion Maintenance Operations Chief, Battalion Maintenance Chief
Officer Duties: Turret and Optics Shop Officer, OIC of the Combat Ready Storage Program; Detachment Commander, Maintenance Management Officer, I MEF Ordnance Officer, I MEF Maintenance Management Officer III MEF Ordnance Officer, Deputy G-4, Battalion Maintenance Control Officer, G-3 Maintenance Support Officer, I MEF Material Readiness Office